As I read through Acts, I understand that our call is to make disciples of all the nations. Preparing the bride, participating in discipling the nations, producing leaders, promoting the priesthood of all believers and also planting New Testament churches.
I am convinced, through scripture, that church planting is the only viable way to win this world effectively for Jesus!
Without the planting of New Testament churches in every nation, tribe and city we would be living an empty dream of bringing redemption to this world.
If we truly believe what the Word of God says about reaching the lost and making disciples we understand that there must be a giving, a going and yes, sometimes a grieving as we endeavor to answer the call of God for our neighbors and nations.
Not everyone is called to church plant, but many of us are called to be a part of a church plant. There are reasons why we should be involved in planting. There are ways, as a team we make church planting work better. There are also enemies we should be aware of and avoid when planting.
Over the next few weeks in my blog, I want to share some of the ways we can be effective when it comes to church planting.
First, Some reasons to church plant:
1)A Holy FRUSTRATION
If you want to see Jesus do something new and you’re sick of the status quo
– Church planting is about advancing HIs kingdom! Church planting is not for those of us with weak resolves. It takes everything we have: spiritually, mentally, emotionally and financially. If we don’t have the faith and are not willing to give everything we have toward planting, even those that aren’t leading, we will become disappointed, disgruntled and die!
– We have to be willing to give what we have to see the kingdom advanced. We all have something to offer.
2)A Larger FOCUS
If you dream about something bigger than you
– We will always be challenged to go bigger in God. It is the nature of who He is that calls us to more. Church planting should always force us to look to Him for answers. Without fresh revelation from God we are living on yesterdays stale observation as we presume what the Spirit is saying instead of constantly being in His presence to grow and our influence in our region.
3)An Eternal FUTURE
If you feel a responsibility to see people who don’t know Jesus come to know Him and believe that church planting is the key way
– Every church plant needs gatherers. However, we cannot gather people to nothing. We need to gather people for the specific purpose of introducing them to Jesus! We have to be intentional about winning the lost and discipling the nations.
4)An Opportunity to sow FINANCES & resources
If you want to give your time, money, talents and energy to see a mission succeed
– Our revelation of Christ determines our mission, which determines who we are and how we respond as the church. Nothing says what we believe more than where we deposit our greatest resources.
5)A FAITHFULNESS with shared vision
If you want to fully support the mission, doctrine, leaders and ministry
– Being a part of a team is one of the most fulfilling ways we can serve. We can all serve as individuals and have an impact but how much more influence could we have when we work together to complete the call God has placed on us as a church?
6)A FAITH That will be stretched
If you want your faith to grow and you want God to fundamentally mess with your life and make your life different
– Nothing will cause your faith to be expanded more than church planting. You have to believe for everything from people showing up to finances to favor with and within the city. We all have our preconceived ideas about how God should handle each situation and the truth is that His ways are not our ways. How I thought the church I planted plant would happen is not in any way the way it did happen. We have to be willing to let God mess with our ideas to allow His plans and purposes to evolve.
7)A FONDNESS for a place
If you want to love your city
– We have to love the place we are called to. Not just the place but also the people in the place. God is not looking on a map to determine where His presence and power have boundaries. He is looking for a people that are willing to preach Jesus and make His name great in that place.
8)A FULFILLING Walk
If you want to watch God move in ways you’ve never imagined and you want adventure in all its discomfort
– Again, church planting is not easy but it is exciting. To go to a place and watch God make something out of nothing is amazing! To see God heal and bring revelation to the saved and unsaved is something we should never tire of. To see Him unveil a future for a place we may have never visited or heard of except that He called us. Only in Him!
9)A real FIGHT of Purpose
If you want to enter a fight/battle for the kingdom
– Matthew 11:12 says, “And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.”
We need men and women who are called by God and willing to engage in the only fight that will ever matter in the kingdom!
10)A Worthwhile FOUNDATION
You bank your life on Matthew 16:18 – And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
This is the only thing Jesus is building: His church! How could we not engage and take a role and responsibility in this?